We have the same minimum entry requirements for most of our taught and research programmes. Here we explain those requirements and the range of assistance available to help you meet them.
Some courses may have additional entry requirements, so please check the specific course you are interested in before submitting your application. If you are an international student you may need to provide evidence of your English language proficiency when you receive an offer to study with us.
Minimum entry requirements
- A UK first or second class honours degree in a relevant subject area; or
- An equivalent international qualification (find out whether your qualification meets our requirements by visiting our International Student page); or
- Relevant work experience in combination with a degree below second class honours.
If you do not meet our formal entry requirements, but still feel you can demonstrate the ability to complete the course successfully, you may still be accepted onto a course. Each application will be considered on its merits.
English language requirements
To study for a formal award at Cranfield you will need to demonstrate that you can communicate effectively in English in an academic environment. You can meet this requirement in the following ways:
- If you have previously obtained a higher education level qualification from a UK university and have been taught and assessed in English (note that international applicants applying for Master’s courses in Cranfield’s School of Management are required to have studied in the UK for the full duration of the course).
- If you are a national of or have a obtained a higher education level qualification from a country on the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) list of majority English speaking countries:
Antigua and Barbuda Ireland Australia Jamaica The Bahamas Malta Barbados New Zealand Belize St Kitts and Nevis Canada* St Lucia Dominica St Vincent and the Grenadines Grenada Trinidad and Tobago Guyana United States of America
*You will usually be required take an English test if your studies were not taught and assessed in English.
- If you have been continuously employed in the UK for a minimum of five years immediately prior to the start of the course, providing you are able to supply a reference from your current employer which explicitly confirms you are able to communicate effectively in English.
- By providing a satisfactory English test certificate that meets the requirement of the course you have applied for.
Approved English tests
The tests we accept and the University minimum requirements are detailed below. Some courses require a higher test score, please check the course page for details. Please note that:
- We verify all test scores with the test providers.
- We are only able to accept tests taken within two years of the course start date.
- All elements of the test results must be demonstrated in one test, we are unable to accept a combination of scores across two or more tests.
- In extremely rare circumstances we may reject a test score if one element of the test has a very low score. This would only occur if we believed this would impact on your ability to study with us or if the score did not meet UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) requirements to study in the UK.
- Not all English tests are suitable for obtaining a Student visa for Pre-sessional study. You can check entry requirements on the Pre-sessional EAP course pages.
|Test provider||Tests accepted||Minimum score requirements|
IELTS for UKVI Academic
IELTS Indicator - China only
|6.5 overall and 5.5 in all skill components.|
We accept all 3 test options:
TOEFL iBT test
TOEFL iBT Home Edition
TOEFL iBT Paper Edition
|92 total and minimum skill component scores of
18 reading, 17 listening, 20 speaking and
Any Cambridge Assessment English test
meeting the required scores can be accepted.
The following are recommended as being
within the scale score range:
Cambridge C1 Advanced
Cambridge C2 Proficiency
|Cambridge English Scale score of 180 overall
and 160 in all skill components.
|Kaplan||KITE (Kaplan International Tools for English)
Cranfield applicants and offer holders are
entitled to a £25 discount, reducing the
price of KITE to £65. Book a test here to
benefit from the discount.
|475 overall and 410 in all skill components.|
|LanguageCert||LanguageCert Academic||70 overall and 59 in all skill components.|
|International ESOL B2 Communicator
Both the Written and Spoken tests must be
International ESOL SELT B2
This test includes all 4 skill components.
|High Pass overall and 33 in all skill components.|
|Password||Password Skills Plus
||6.5 overall and 5.5 in all skill components.|
|Pearson PTE||PTE Academic
PTE Academic Online
PTE Academic UKVI
|65 overall and 59 in all skill components.|
|Integrated Skills in English - ISE III (C1)||Overall Pass outcome.|
What can I do if I don't meet the English language requirement for my chosen course?
If you have taken a test but not reached the required score you may be able to apply for one of our Pre-sessional English for Academic Purposes (EAP) courses. Please be aware that not all English tests are suitable for obtaining a Student visa for Pre-sessional study. You can check entry requirements on the Pre-sessional EAP course pages: